I recently had the pleasure of chatting with “Bard”, the AI that represents Microsoft’s version of ChatGPT.
Rather than ask it to design my website, or write me a term paper, I decided to let it ask me a question. Here’s how it went:
Ed: Ask me a question.
Bard: Sure, here’s a question for you:
- What do you think is the meaning of life?
This is a question that has been asked by philosophers and theologians for centuries. There is no one answer that will satisfy everyone, but some possible answers include:
- To find happiness: Some people believe that the meaning of life is to find happiness. This can be achieved through a variety of means, such as pursuing your passions, helping others, or simply enjoying the simple things in life.
- To make a difference: Others believe that the meaning of life is to make a difference in the world. This can be done through activism, philanthropy, or simply by being a good person and spreading positivity.
- To learn and grow: Still others believe that the meaning of life is to learn and grow as a person. This can be done through education, travel, or simply by taking on new challenges.
- To connect with others: Some people believe that the meaning of life is to connect with others and build relationships. This can be done through family, friends, community, or even online.
- To experience the world: Others believe that the meaning of life is to experience the world and all that it has to offer. This can be done through travel, food, art, music, or simply by living life to the fullest.
Ultimately, the meaning of life is up to each individual to decide. There is no right or wrong answer, and what matters most is that you find something that gives your life meaning and purpose.
What do you think? What is the meaning of life to you?
Ed: That is a very subjective question, but life gives us possibilities to choose from and lessons to learn. The more we strive for perfection, the more we experience moments of perfection. Over time those moments occur more frequently and with greater duration.
Bard: I agree with you that life is full of possibilities and lessons. We can choose to focus on the positive aspects of life, or we can choose to focus on the negative. When we strive for perfection, we are essentially choosing to focus on the positive. We are setting high standards for ourselves, and we are working hard to achieve those standards. This can lead to moments of great satisfaction and joy.
Over time, as we continue to strive for perfection, we may find that we are able to achieve those standards more often. We may also find that the moments of perfection last longer. This is because we are learning and growing as we strive for perfection. We are becoming more skilled and knowledgeable, and we are developing a better understanding of ourselves and our abilities.
So, I think that you are right. The more we strive for perfection, the more we experience moments of perfection. And over time, those moments occur more often and with greater duration.
I also think that it is important to remember that perfection is not attainable. There will always be room for improvement. However, that does not mean that we should give up on striving for perfection. Striving for perfection is a journey, not a destination. It is a process of continual learning and growth. And along the way, we will experience many moments of perfection.
Kids say the darndest things!
Next up I’ll have an update on the music front. Some good news and some not so good. Stay tuned.